A very touching song by Mark Harris. Enjoy!!

Monday, August 2, 2010

WHO RESCUED WHO ? I know.

In January 2009, our beloved buddy of 12 1/2 years had a stroke and we had to, out of our absolute love for him, have him euthanized.  We had rescued him from a local animal angel in Union City, TN in 2006.  He was only 6 weeks old at the time.  We named him Oliver (after the cat in Oliver & Co.).  This dog was remarkable and amazing!  Anyone who ever met him was amazed at how awesome he was!!

The kids loved him and he loved them.  Oliver loved Mike and Mike loved him so much.  For me, it was much more than love.  (I thought I could put the feelings down here, but I'm not there yet.)  Let's just say I was extremely lost when he was gone.

At first I wanted a "replacement", right away.  I came to realize that Oliver was not replaceable.  I was sad.  And I was also mad, because Mike and the girls didn't want another dog at all.  Lots of talks took place regarding another dog. I couldn't get them to understand the need I had, the void in my heart.  I started going to the RAL in hopes that I would find "the one".  After several visits, I made a connection, but it didn't work out and I had to tearfully (aka sobbing) return him.

I was embarrassed at having to return this dog, and once again very sad, so I stopped looking.  Then one day, I inadvertently clicked on the RAL link in my dropdown menu... at first I was going to shut the window, but then I caught a glimpse of this sweet, sweet face.  I went to meet Denali.  He was skiddish and scrawny, and he had just finished treatment for heartworm.  Right away I needed to rescue him from this life in a cage.

It's been almost a year now since Denali joined our family, and every single day he has brought me unexplainable joy!  So when I see that paw shaped bumber sticker  "WHO RESCUED WHO?"  I know!!  And I say an extra little prayer of thanks for this furry dude!!

This is his imitation of the great Sphynx

No comments:

Post a Comment