A very touching song by Mark Harris. Enjoy!!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Reason To Read

In this Project 365, I've decided that I'd like for it to be a little more than just a photo project.  I'm trying to use it as a catalyst for writing and researching. 

This morning as I was leaving for work I caught this out of the corner of my eye. 



It's a Luna Moth
When I noticed it, I knew immediately that I wanted to use this for my P365 photo.  I hurried, but very cautiously so I didn't spook it, to dig out my phone which doubles as a camera.  As I took the photo I wasn't quite sure if it was a moth or a butterfly.  Now, after just a few minutes of reading on the www, I have a much better sense of who this little creature is.  There are of course the facts and the fiction. 

Facts:  *wingspan can be up to 4 1/2 inches, *males have larger, bushier antennae (I think this is a male), *adults do not eat, they don't even have a mouth, *adults only live 1 week and in that week they breed

The fiction/fantasy aspect is that the moth is a symbol of transformation and the carriers of dreams.

I hope that this photo leads to you read up a little and see what you can learn about the Luna Moth.

Update @ 9pm . . . when I came home this afternoon, I didn't see the moth so I figured it had moved on, but after my reading I had a thought, "Maybe it's still there and I just missed seeing it earlier, or maybe it came back."  Well sure enough I went out to look and there it was, on the underside of a the same leaf it was on this morning. 


I think it's pretty cool !!

No comments:

Post a Comment